Understanding the terminology, structure and questions that come with submitting an NDIS Plan can make some people feel a little uneasy. The good news is – you don’t have to do it alone!
Afford offers expert advice through our NDIS Support Coordination service. You can speak directly with NDIS specialists about what how to maximise your funding and what necessary supports you need to help you in everyday life.
If you’re not sure what you’re eligible for, or need some support with pre-planning, then call 1300 233 673 to connect with the people who live and breathe NDIS. We’ll ensure you get the best outcome.
If you’re just not sure where to start, follow our 5 Steps for a Better NDIS. These are designed to get you up to speed fast and guide you along the way:
- List your goals and daily activities. What are your goals for work, home or for life? What are the activities that make you personally happy – that you enjoy doing every day and every week? Make a list of some of your personal goals and what supports would enhance your life and help you achieve these goals.
- Adapt to the terminology. Get up to speed with the latest jargon and NDIS terminology to take full advantage of all that the NDIS is offering. For a list of explanations for NDIS terms and words, visit https://www.ndis.gov.au/about-us/glossary.
- Get in early. Before you go for your first meeting, you will be required to fill in your planning workbook. This includes questions about your life and your future. Make sure you answer all your questions before going to your meeting and that you have done your research about the opportunities that are available to you under the NDIS.
- Supports to live the life you want. Don’t just think about traditional disability supports. Think outside the box about activities, programs, services and supports that will help you live life the way you want to live it. This might include Afford Getaways, which offers you supported holidays with your choice of support staff. NDIS Plans are supposed to suit your individual needs, so consider the variety of supports available to you and request that your NDIS planner includes these.
- Don’t go it alone. The people who are closest to you know the supports and services that will help you achieve your goals. Take a friend, family member, carer or advocate along to your NDIS planning meeting so that you can have an additional perspective about things that will enhance your life.
To connect with an Afford NDIS Support Coordinator or to find out how Afford can help you maximise your NDIS future funding and supports, call 1300 233 673 or visit https://www.afford.com.au/. Come see members of our team at the Melbourne Disability Expo, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre at 1 Convention Centre Pl, South Wharf VIC 3006 on Friday and Saturday, November 16 and 17, 9am-3pm.
Register HERE to attend the Melbourne Disability Expo, organised by Social Impact Institute, advancing the social impact of organisations and increasing access to the right advice, products and services for people with disability.